Saturday, February 19, 2011

Another day of Hell in Africa!

We stayed in the Bontebok National Park last night after we started off in pouring rain at Onrus, overcast weather through the Overberg, a lunchtime downpour in Swellendam and then a clear evening in the Park. This was all after a night of celebration for Dick's birthday the night before.Enough said and he is now definitely 61.
Today we left the Bontebok park and drove to Montagu to do the tractor drive up the mountain to Arangieskop.  It is really an awesome trip and some breathtaking views all the way up and from the top.It is a hugely popular outing and mostly supported by local people, as in South Africans. It is on a Protea farm and we were lucky today as the King proteas are beginning to bloom. The height at the top is 1500 mtr above sea level, which is somewhat higher than Table Mountain. The guy did say how much, however that info was filtered out.The tractor ride is followed by a Potjiekos lunch, with vetkoek en jam, home baked breads and lambcurry potjie , waterblommetjie potjie, chicken and veg and a chocolate pudding to die for. The bread alone is a meal for me.
We left there at about 13.30. One of the guys were not feeling well and it sounded like traveler's tummy and he did not feel fit enough to drive. His wife is a small "vroutjie" and the van is a bit big for her to drive, so Dick drove theirs and I drove ours all the way from the farm to Oudtshoorn , just to bloody scrape a guy's car as I turned in to park. Is sommer die bliksem in vir myself, but what happens happens and hopefully the unemployment pays out to cover the damage. If not, I will have to go out and do some serious "los werkies" The damage is not much, but the "omie" already told me that his car is his baby and on top of all he is a butcher and he told me he knows how to use a knife. So best I do what I have to do.The van is also a bit damaged, but that is now not my problem, yet! The problem is of course that the van's dimensions are somewhat different to that of my Opel and just as I thought that I have done a great job driving over several mountain passes, old Murphy was there for me again.
Anyway, I am coping with my "disaster" with a glass of red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment