Monday, November 8, 2010

From 60 to Addo

So the 60th birthday arrived on Friday and the transition to retirement was made very swiftly. I learned on day 1 that it is actually ok to forget things, that you can legally do silly things and that you are entitled to pensioners' discount. Had my dad been alive, he would have been so proud of me.
Well it was a free "do what you like day" with  the group, so Dick and I was off into Oudtshoorn early for a breakfast with the required champagne. The best of a birthday for me are the phone calls. Always my Ma first and normally by 6 in the morning and this morning was no exceptiom. I received many calls and messages and it was great to be remembered by so many people on my special day. Not many pressies as I was not at home and I did'nt have a party!!!Will have to address that when we get home. We went to the ostrich farm as I had threatened to ride an ostrich on my 60th birthday, but I chickened out and only sat on  the ostrich. The only volunteers to ride the ostrich was at least 50 years younger than me and I thought that even if it is allowed to do childlike stuff when you get to 60, I was not quite ready for this.
The rest of the day was spent sipping champagne and in the evening we all had a braai together and i got little gifts and things from the group, as well a birthday cake and they sang Happy Birthday to me. Not just any old singers either. Two members of the group were choir members of the BBC choir in England until very recently!!!
On Saturday we left Oudtshoorn and travelled to Storms Rivier via Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. It is just to incredibly beautiful and it was a stunning day. We got to Storms River at about 5, after a visit to Monkeylend and Birds of Eden. The birds were well worh the visit. On arrival at Storms river all went for walks. The sea was like a mirror and we were parked nearly in the sea. It was great. We didnt spend the evening with the group as Elma and Eugene Steyn, our friends from Plet came to spend the evening in the park as well, specially for my birthday. We had a lekker evening, drinking champagne and excellent red wine, provided  Eugene. Needless to say the braai was equally good. We left them older wiser and very happy.
Sunday we went for an early walk and tackled the road to Addo where we booked in at about lunch  and by 4 we were off to see Elephants and more elephants and Kudus and just to generally enjoy the park.
Tomorrow off to Gariep dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment